Another item axed from LA Adventure List…eating at Animal! This restaurant specializes in the nose-to-tail eating style with lots of weird cuts of meat. I’ve wanted to try it for a while, but only got around to it now. The food — phenomenal. Buffalo style pig tail, oxtail poutine, shrimp and rabbit spring rolls, fried quail, pork belly sandwiches, hamachi tostada and marrowbone with chimichurri — I would happily eat all of you again and again if it didn’t wreak so much havoc on my diet. The service, unfortunately, was typical snooty LA restaurant style, which means we were seated AN HOUR after our reservation and our waiter frankly couldn’t care less, but at least the food was worth it!
What I learned this week
- There is a beauty pageant for sexy Italian nuns. There are beauty pageants for prisoners in Colombia and Siberia. And, of course, there is the coveted Miss Armpit Queen title here in the States. I’m so glad I know this now. (Thanks, The Vine)
- I would just like my fly friends to know that if you have loud sex, you could get eaten by sneaky bats. And your neighbors will hate you. (Thanks, Smithsonian Magazine)
- 8th graders, yes 8th graders, can be offered college football scholarships five years in advance. Congrats, Dylan Moses! I hope you enjoy your time at LSU…in 2017. (Thanks Cosby Sweaters)
- People have been exactly the same, since at least the days of Pompeii. This graffiti found at Pompeii is lovelorn, irreverent and dirty. So dirty. One of my favorites: “Defecator, may everything turn out okay so that you can leave this place”. Indeed.
- I’m excited to try these 20 iconic Austin dishes…especially the avocado margarita!
- A round-up of 27 summer hairstyles…I’ll attempt all of them and be successful with about 3. That’s generally how it works.
- Are Pinterest and Tumblr modes of curation? What is curation? What makes one a curator? What up, Information Studies 101!
- This letter from a girl to a boyfriend who doesn’t notice her sexy lingerie doesn’t strike any chords. Nope. Not at all.
- Movie Harry Potter characters vs book characters…illustrated!
- Hip hop lyrics as book blurbs.
- A beautiful personal essay about ballet, bodies, fat and sexiness.
- The Retronaut is basically one of my favorite things on the internet. Here are some photos of the construction of Disneyland! And old school oil wells all over Southern California! And Downtown LA in the 1860s! AND AMAZING ADVERTISEMENTS FOR TAXIDERMY SCHOOL!
- Manatee Superheros. The unsung, gentle heroes of the ocean.
- Five friends take a photo in the same pose every five years. I’m kind of obsessed. I couldn’t stop going back and forth through the gallery to watch their hair change.
- Cloud Atlas movie trailer! How the heck is this movie going to work? The book is so brilliantly confusing and layered, I just don’t see it coming together. Will I still see it? Of course!
- And if anyone’s looking for an Olympics drinking game, here you go.