It’s been a tough week. As I said yesterday, a move + car problems is probably the worst. How the heck am I supposed to go to Ikea a million times for the things I forgot if I can’t get to my car?! But, last night, I went swimming in the amazing Barton Springs with my roommate and her friends, today I discovered a sweet little park in my neighborhood while out on my run, and now I’m sitting on my front porch blogging, drinking a cold drink and listening to cicadas. It’s not all bad.
What I Learned:
- If you put * into a Google Maps search while zoomed in on your neighborhood, you can see everything that’s listed there! It’s great for people who have moved to completely unfamiliar areas, like me. (Thanks Lifehacker for that tip and so many more good ideas about how to get comfortable in a new city!)
- IPA stands for India Pale Ale, and it was created because it could withstand the long shipping time to India from England! (Thanks Wikipedia and The Stuff You Missed in History Class podcast)
- “Y’all” can be used for a singular person. I have no idea why you would use “y’all” instead of “you”, but in Texas, you can if you want!
- This recipe for panzanella looks like the perfect summer recipe! Easy, fresh, and delicious!
- These portraits of New Yorkers are beautiful, funny and poignant.
- A lovely thought.
- Hobbit hole playhouses for all The Hobbit fans out there!
- Remember how I dubbed Alana from Toddlers and Tiaras one of my heroes? Well, her whole family is being featured in a new, horrible show on TLC. I watched about 5 minutes of it, and that’s all I could get through. I do love Jezebel’s appreciative write up of it though.
- This history of the evolution of the woman in the domestic realm is fascinating, and it also makes me so glad I missed out on being a housewife years and years ago.
- What are we doing now that birth control is free?
- I’m so sad the Olympics are almost over. It seems like I was waiting for London 2012 foreverrrrr, and poof! Done! In the spirit of the Olympics, this video goes through all the changes the uneven bars have seen. They used to be so close together and routines were so simple!
- Ever wondered what the physics were behind cats always landing on their feet? Want to see an adorable, patient cat named Gigi get dropped in slow motion over and over again? Well, pal, I have the video for you!
Happy weekend, y’all!