This week’s Broke and Bookish Top Ten Tuesdays theme is bad book habits! And yeah, as much as I hate to admit it, I have a few…
- I’m rough on books. The one that lives in my purse always gets beat to pieces. I dog ear. I fold pages. I break spines. As far as I’m concerned, books aren’t meant to be coddled; they’re meant to be used. Hard.
- I read the first and last Twilight books, but not the two in-between. They’re as bad as you’ve heard, but I needed to see it for myself.
- Every time I go to the library, I take out WAY too many books. I just can’t help it! They’re free, so I just add and add to my stack. Last time I was a the library, I took out eight books, even though class was starting in a few days. Oh, and then I renew like a mofo. Sorry everyone else who wants these books.
- I have borrowed books…and then not given them back for months, years, and sometimes ever. In my defense on the last one, the person I borrowed the book from was a friend of a friend, and then my friend dropped the relationship. So I didn’t know how to get a hold of her again! Yeah, I know…I feel bad.
- I’ve never read anything by James Joyce all the way through, except for a couple of his short stories. I’ve only read two novels by Charles Dickens. I’ve read nothing by Henry James. For an English major from a pretty traditional program, I have a lot of gaps in my reading.
- I ALWAYS need to know how many pages are left in a book I’m reading. I have no idea why. It doesn’t matter if I love the book or hate it. I just need to keep a tally running in my head.
- I hate leaving a book half read, so I’ll finish almost all the books I start, but I’ll hardly remember what happens in it. My reading comprehension becomes very half-assed.
- I LOVE cookbooks, but I never ever cook anything from them.
- I pretend I know a lot more about poetry than I actually do. I quote the same three poems over and over. “Dare I eat a peach?”
- I end up sleeping with books in my bed many nights. I’m just too sleepy to put them on the nightstand. It’s, like, a foot away. Gah.
Forgive me, and don’t judge me too harshly. I know you have bad book habits of your own!