Another week gone. This one has been better in some ways, increasingly frustrating in others. I finally got my car back from the mechanic with a fixed air conditioner…only to have it break again 15 minutes later! I feel like I’m a bit on a roller coaster — lots of ups and downs and no idea what’s coming at me next. I never would’ve guessed that having car problems in a new city would throw me for such a loop, but it definitely has! Ugh. Hopefully next week will bring good news about the car.
The good is that I’m beginning to see the charms of Austin a little bit more — people are ridiculously friendly, there are some really beautiful running trails, and there always seems to be something going on. I’m keeping busy, which is good.
What I learned:
- Oh good! I can finally get black diamonds crushed up in my nail polish! It’s only going to cost me $250,000. I’m worth it!
- Birds won’t explode if they eat rice! I don’t know why I never even questioned that urban legend. I just figured it had to be true, for no reason at all. We can hurl rice at brides and grooms again! WOOHOO!
- LOIS LOWRY IS COMING TO BOOKPEOPLE! Oh my gosh. You guys. The Giver was the book that showed me that books aren’t just fun to read, but can actually be worth really thinking about. It was a big deal to a 10 year old. I have re-read it a kabillion times. And now, Lowry will be reading from the sequel to it, here in Austin. Am I going? HELL YES. Am I going to get all weirdly emotional and cry? Maybe.
- This article about the global dominance of Cosmo magazine is fascinating! There are 64 international versions of Cosmo. 64! That’s a whooooole lot of “Blow Your Man’s Mind Tonight!” articles.
- And the founder of Cosmo died this week, sparking this lovely remembrance and essay on where she stood in the world of feminism
- So sad that the Olympics are over. Watching this ridiculous “commentary” on one of the Olympics more confusing sports makes it a little bit better.
- And here’s aA round up of Olympic athletes’ nail art! So many cute little Olympic rings.
- The book lover’s map of America from 1933! I wish they were selling prints of this. I’d buy it in a second.
- This NSFW East of Eden spoof video had me spitting out my water I was laughing so hard.
- Ryan Lochte goes into the file of guys I find incredibly attractive…until they open their stupid mouths. Geez Louise. I can’t even…HOW DO YOU FUNCTION? This video rounds up all the particularly great Lochte moments. My favorite: “What defines me? Ryan Lochte.”
- Have you ever thought, “I wonder what Louisa May Alcott’s erotic life would’ve been like?” Well then, my dirty friend, do I have the book for you! Fifty Shades of Louisa May explores what the Little Women‘s life could’ve been like…if she hadn’t died a virgin. I feel like THIS is exactly why I bought my Kindle. I need to read it, but I can’t have people see me reading it!
- I would eat so many of these zucchini bread whoopie pies! Yum!
- I definitely needed this reminder this week: How to do things by yourself (and actually enjoy them!)
- The crazy PBS folks who brought the remix of Mr Rogers did this great one of Julia Child in honor of her 100th birthday. “Freshness is essential. That makes all the difference!”