Well, I hope there are people out there reading this…not running away from zombies/meteors/giant mutated animals/whatever the Mayan apocalypse is. If any of that is going on…well, it’s been real, folks.
What I Learned:
- Before Hans Christian Anderson, kids were busy reading Aesop, Homer, Psalms and other much more complicated things than I ever read. Gah, fricking smart kids of the past.
- Only 450 women across the world are commercial airline pilots. 450. WHAT. This is why I’ve never heard a woman over the plane intercom. (via CNN/Stuff Your Mom Never Told You).
- The first person to survive going over Niagara Falls in a barrel was a 63 year old woman who did it to finance her old age. Wow.
- This modern gingerbread house is too cool for school.
- This list of 50 ways to spend Christmas alone has so many great ideas! I’ve never spent Christmas alone, but I did spend Thanksgiving alone once. My solution? Ice cream, steak and TV.
- A collection of brilliant book ads. I love those library trucks!
- I can’t decide how I feel about the Baz Luhrmann version of The Great Gatsby coming out in the spring. This trailer makes me feel like it’s going to be a whole lot of glitz, without a lot of substance…but the casting is just so good! Leo! Carey Mulligan aka perfection on earth!
- Looking for something weird to do near you? Check out Atlas Obscura for awesome recommendations!
- Assuming that there will be a 2013 and Earth isn’t reduced to space rubble, I would take any of these 2013 calendars!
- Ever wondered how tall all those male Hollywood guys are? The answer? Short. Very short.
- 65 funniest webcomics. You’re welcome.