The first week of my summer internship is over. I have now seen a whole lot of film archives (they are freezing and smell a lot magnetic tape) and watched a very long oral history with documentary film maker Mark J. Harris. I’ve also discovered that I get to see a bunch of movies for free this summer. So far, so good!
And to celebrate the end of my first week? A visit to the LACMA Stanley Kubrick exhibit today, a bonfire on the beach tomorrow and a bit of pedestrian fun at LA’s CicLAvia on Sunday! Good things are happening, folks!
What I Learned
- Siri has now been programmed to help prevent suicide. Pretty cool, Apple.
- This article about the actual statistics around those studies saying that women have a much harder time getting pregnant after 35 surprised me. The data is from 17th century France?! WHAT?! I don’t have to have a baby right this instant?! Hooray!
- Oh, I definitely learned that even if your health insurance people swear up and down that you will NOT get birth control for free this summer no matter what you do…check with the pharmacy anyway. Sometimes insurance people don’t know what they’re talking about (Affordable Health Care Act? What?), and you’ll get a very pleasant surprise at the pharmacy. Only sometimes though.
- And on a much lighter note…there are two versions of the “Blurred Lines” music video. One has a ton of boobies. SURPRISE!
- This collection of portraits of grandmothers from all around the world with their signature dinner dishes makes me hungry!
- This gorgeous greenhouse’s windows are made entirely of sugar! NOM!
- Joy writes beautifully about her bad tattoo and what it means to her now.
- A bachelorette party piñata…that might just have to happen at certain bachelorette party this summer.
- There are very few perfect jobs, and you probably won’t get one in your first few years in the working world. Adulting is spot on, as usual.
- Disney used to stage real life scenes from their animated movies, so the animators could use them to aid in the drawing process. I wish I could be a model for a Disney movie. It looks like it was pretty fun.
- Cucumber honeydew sangria?! YES. (Yes, I realize I post a drink recipe on this list pretty much every week. I’m not a lush, I swear. But it’s Friday! FRIDAY FUN DAY!)