Happy birthday to meeee! I am officially 28 today. What an adult sounding number! Year 27 was weird, tough and very different than the five years before. I have a feeling that it’s a year I’ll look back on as a big one.
Last summer, I pledged to do 28 new things. I actually did pretty darn good at doing them…I completed 19 of the goals! Of course, I was too lazy to write about a bunch of them (whoops), but still. I’m pretty proud of myself.
I’ll make a new list for this year soon, and I’d love to hear if you have any suggestions for new things for me to try! I’m off to celebrate the start of a whole new year. Woo!
How I did!
5. Buy real cowgirl boots.
6. Go line dancing.
I didn’t do this, but I did learn how to two step and did that an awful lot. I’m calling it a win.
11. Run a 10k. Done!
12. Take a road trip to a yet to be determined Texan destination.
Did it twice, but never wrote about it! Hit up a tiny town in West Central Texas for a night of relaxation during the fall semester with a couple friends, and then did the whole Museum/Astros game thing in Houston as soon as school got out!
13. Write snail mail to friends and family.
Welllll…. I did this sometimes, but probably just as much as last year. I need to make my goals more concrete for this coming year.
14. Take my fancy camera out for a day in Austin. Done!
Done…and I even took a ton of photos, but then was too lazy to take them off the DSLR. You’re just going to have to take my word for it!
16. Bake a cake FROM SCRATCH.
17. Run one of those goofy themed 5ks. A zombie run? A color run? A mud run? They’re all good. Done!
18. Volunteer (can’t be library/school related!)
19. Eat a breakfast taco! Done! And it was delicious!
20. Join a rec sports league. Kickball, perhaps?
22. Attend a Nerd Nite Austin event.
24. Go to UT football game. Hook ’em!
25. Grow fresh herbs aka don’t kill all the plants that come into your possession.
26. Try three new fitness routines. Pilates? Belly dancing? Barre? Biking? Boxing? So many options!
I actually tried out a ton of new exercise classes. The weirdest? Belly dancing taught by two kind of kooky old ladies. The most rocking? “Pound” at Crunch Gym, where you pound the ground with weighted drum sticks as hard as you can while doing a ton of different crunches and lunges. The most TV inspired? “LABlast” at Crunch Gym, a dance class based on Dancing With The Stars. I also got more into biking, hiking, spin, and dance in general. It was a good year for working out.
27. Go to a rodeo.
28. Hike the Barton Creek Greenbelt.
I did this twice. Apparently it’s what you do on Austin dates, because I had two different guys suggest this as a date. It’s a really pretty place, but I’ll never get used to Texas hiking. It’s so flat! In California, I swear you’re always aiming for the top of a hill. Not so in Texas.