Remember me? That girl who was super good about updating her blog every day for more than a year and then disappeared for about seven months? Uh, yeah, it’s been a while.
I needed that long break. Not only was last semester my busiest by far (taking an extra class AND having an extra job on top of your already busy schedule is not for wusses…or for people who actually value their sanity), but I also felt mentally drained. My creative juice felt sapped, and writing in this blog had turned into just one more thing on my to do list.
So I took a step back. A break that I thought would last just a couple weeks turned into a month, then the semester, and then a full seven months. Yikes. It feels embarrassing to come back after such a long absence, but I miss it! After gentle prodding from a few readers (and by a few readers, I mean mostly my mom, sister and sweet friend Becky), I decided to start writing again. I probably won’t be writing as much as I used to, but I will be stopping in at least a couple times a week.
Let me give you the quick overview of the few blog-worthy things that happened in the past few months:
Most importantly…I got a cat! I got Homer from the Austin Humane Society back in September, and since then he’s become my clingy, best cat friend. He likes road trips (we drove from Texas to California and back over winter break. He weirdly liked it.), hiding those little mouse toys somewhere in my apartment, sleeping on my head, and giving kisses. Yep, he’s kinda the best.
Oh, he also met Trixie over winter break. He thought she was pretty great…she agreed to tolerate his existence after three days of him bothering her. That’s all we could really ask for.
I also completed one of my big fitness goals and ran a half marathon. It took months of training, but I managed to run the thing in less than two and a half hours without walking, which was my overall goal. I don’t think I have a marathon in me, but completing a half felt pretty darn good, especially because I couldn’t even run two miles together two years ago.
I’d love to run another one, but I’m going to have to figure out how to do it so all my joints don’t feel like combusting that night.
The other things that made me happy:
- A long overdue NYC trip to see some friends in the fall
- Some time in LA around Christmas
- Ringing in the New Year in SF
- Lots of family time both over the holidays and to celebrate my grandma’s 90th birthday
- Visits here in Austin from a bunch of awesome friends
- A baby blue Kitchenaid mixer as a gift from my mom for Christmas (OMG you guys)
- Reading a ton of books.
- My first pair of real cowgirl boots
- Actually seeing all the best picture Oscar nominations for the first time ever. Her was my personal favorite
- Seeing Kendrick Lamar live at ACL Fest (Best. Concert. EVER.)
- Witnessing first hand the insanity that is a University of Texas home football game
- Discovering the joy that is a fried puffy taco in San Antonio
- Six (? I’ve honestly lost count) days with either delayed or cancelled school due to stupid amounts of ice
- And the biggie…BEING TWO MONTHS AWAY FROM GRADUATION AND STARTING THE REST OF MY LIFE OMG. So, would anyone like to hire a librarian/archivist? I’m available…
So yeah. That’s what I’ve been up to. Anyone still out there? What is going on with you? What did I miss? Any internet gossip you want to share?
Hope you’ve all been well. It’s good to be back.