What a week! I checked off some big academic milestones that are getting me ever closer to graduation, did my first reader’s advisory session with an undergrad student at the library where I volunteer (reader’s advisory = just recommending books to people based on what they like. It is AMAZING), and only half heartedly prepped for a 10k race I have on Saturday morning. I’m hoping this weekend will be half relaxing, half prep for the end of the semester, but it so rarely turns out that way. It’s more likely that it will be too much resting until Sunday, and then it’ll be a scramble to get ready for Monday. Story of my life.
What I Learned
- David Mitchell’s new book, The Bone Clocks, is coming out September 9th! Ahhhhh!
- Pregnancy tests used to be a lot more interesting…and definitely slimier. Doctors used to inject frogs with a woman’s urine. If the frog ovulated and laid eggs, the woman was pregnant. This was the testing method all the way through the 1950’s! WHAT.
- Looking for a totally delicious cookie to make? Shutterbean’s version of the Momofoku Milkbar cornflake cookie is super good. You DO need to chill the dough for quite a while though. And they spread in the pan! Don’t end up like me with one giant cookie sheet full of cookie. Space them out!
- Chimamamanda Ngozi Adichie reminds us that smart women are allowed to love fashion too. Such a good read.
- These photos of hardcore metal dudes and their pet cats are pretty epic.
- I love how this bold SF home uses color. I need a chart of the elements for my house!
- And I’m lusting over this handmade galaxy wallpaper. What a perfect addition to an already cute bathroom!
- Why keeping weight off is the real challenge. You guys. It’s so hard.
- The reason it’s so hard? Salted caramel macaroons.
- This video of all the British/Irish accents is just amazing. I’ll always be partial to that West Country, piratey accent, since I spent my junior year trying to decipher the Bristol accent.